Saturday nights are Pizza nights at our home. This time I was running late in preparing it (like often) that I was so happy when this pizza was done in about 30 minutes. It also helped that I had all the veggies chopped and cheese shredded. The sauce was a quick one too. I mixed tomato sauce with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and dried oregano. How is that for the fastest pizza sauce!
One of the reasons why I like baking with sourdough is that I don’t need to use baker’s yeast. A helpful site to learn has been Sourdoughhome.com. I would modify the recipes from what I have learned because I like to soak my flours for at least 7 hours. Here is one of those I like because they are easy and uses only 4 ingredients.
Sourdough Pizza Crust Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups of sourdough starter
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
1 teaspoon salt
1-1 1/2 cups of flour (your choice)
1. Mix 1 1/2 cups starter, 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil or melted coconut oil, and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium sized bowl. Add 1 cup of flour. Mix well. Sprinkle your counter with flour to knead until well combined. Add flour as necessary. Make sure dough is soft and not sticky. Add water, starter or whey if it’s too dry or flour if it’s too wet.
2. Cover dough with plastic wrap and let it sit to “sour” overnight or from morning to dinner time.
3. When you are ready to make it, preheat your oven to 450 degrees or hotter for the pre-bake. Roll out your dough. You may use wax paper or parchment paper to roll it out. I use parchment paper and bake it on it. Poke your dough several times with a fork. Pop it in the oven for about 5 – 10 minutes. You have to check often to make sure it doesn’t get too dark.
4. Take the pizza out of the oven. Cool and freeze or prepare by brushing it with olive oil and add what you desire.
5. Bake your creative sourdough pizza for 10-25 minutes depending on oven temperature, toppings and crust thickness.
Note on the starter: Make sure your starter is fresh and alive. I take mine out of the refrigerator in advance every time I will use it. I feed it and in use it when it looks lovely (that means all bubbly). I take out what I will use and feed it again. Let it bubble again and back to the fridge.
What is your favorite sourdough recipe? Or Pizza crust recipe?