- 2 cups flour. I make a sprouted soft wheat flour.
- 2 cups Rapadura (sugar)
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant “barley” coffee powder
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Butter two 9-inch cake pans or one 9 by 11.
- Mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and barley coffee powder in a large bowl.
- Add milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together.
- Slowly and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute to add air to the batter if you have a hand mixer.
- Distribute cake batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until done.
- Let it cool before applying the frosting
1 (8 ounce) package organic cream cheese
3 Tablespoons of raw honey
1/4 cup organic heavy whipping cream
1 cup organic semisweet chocolate chips
Instructions: Melt the chocolate. I put the chocolate in a glass measuring cup over a small saucepan with water. Add all ingredients to a blender or to a bowl if using a hand mixer and combine well.
I have doubled this recipe for a larger crowd and it turned out well too.
Enjoy your birthday celebrations with your whole family!